A Four Night Festival that will Celebrate 75 years in 2023 and is the Top Fundraiser for Historic Preservation in the United States
“A Night In Old San Antonio®” (NIOSA®) is a four-night festival that celebrates the city’s diverse cultural legacy and will be held April 25-28, 2023 from 5:30 to 10:30 p.m. nightly during Fiesta San Antonio®.
Celebrating its 75th presentation this year, NIOSA is the top fundraiser for historic preservation in the United States—living up to its motto as a “Celebration for Preservation.” It is solely produced by and benefits The Conservation Society of San Antonio (one of the nation’s oldest and most active historic preservation organizations that will celebrate its 100th anniversary in 2024).
Through the magic of 165+ food, drink and atmosphere booths and entertainment stages; continuous live musical acts; decorations; souvenirs; and many dedicated volunteers, NIOSA brings the city’s heritage alive in its 14 cultural areas. San Antonians have consistently voted NIOSA as their favorite event; it was listed the #1 Fiesta event by San Antonio Current, which called it an “essential experience.”
SOMETHINGS ARE COMING BACK (for the better!):
- NIOSA 2023 will again sell paper coupons for food, drink, souvenirs on the grounds that can be purchased outside and inside the NIOSA gates during the event. Yes, no wristbands!
- NIOSA only takes cash for coupons; ATM machines available on the grounds
- In honor of its 75th Anniversary, the Chili Queens are back, whose origins at NIOSA date back to 1947 when Society members created replicas of the old-time chili stands that dotted Juarez Plaza
- Advance discount entrance tickets are available early March through April 28 for $20/pp at area H-E-B grocery stores; Ft. Sam Houston; Lackland AFB and Randolph AFB
- Advance entrance tickets for $20 are available from early March through April 28 on NIOSA website; additional handling fee will be charged. These e-tickets from NIOSA website can be loaded to your phone or tablet, or printed. NIOSA leaders strongly recommend you print out e-ticket as back-up.
- Tickets can be purchased nightly during NIOSA at the gates for $25 for adults; children 12 and under are free when accompanied by an adult. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. and close at 10 p.m.; food sales and entertainment continue until 10:30 p.m. All tickets are non-refundable; NIOSA is open, rain or shine.
- All areas will be located within La Villita this year. Check NIOSA website often for map and list of foods in each area.
- Children 12 and under are still free when accompanied by an adult. However, there will not be children’s games nor face-painting.
SOMETHINGS NEVER CHANGE (thank goodness)! NIOSA 2023 will still:
- occur in the heart of downtown San Antonio on the grounds of La Villita Historic Arts Village District, with its four+ acres of historic buildings, cobblestoned streets, walls and fountains.
- serve the foods NIOSA has created or perfected, prepared and served including these favorites: Mr. Chicken, Maria’s Tortillas, Anticuchos, its signature German sausage, Bongo-K-Bobs, Beignets, Fried Mushrooms, Yak-i-Tori, Steer on a Stick, Eggrolls, Gorditas and Fajitas de Pollo.
- feature NIOSA’s favorite entertainers who perform every night of NIOSA.
- be put on by an army of volunteers, led by the Society’s Fourth Vice President/NIOSA Chairman Patti Zaiontz who is ultimately responsible for everything from decorations to cascarones and security. She is assisted by four NIOSA vice chairmen (Julie Terrell, Lisa Pierce, Terry Campbell and Glenda Duffin) and NIOSA Treasurer Wayne Hartman; 14 area chairmen; and chairmen for more the hundreds of food and drink booths. Some food booths have been run by second or third generations of a family; all are volunteers.
- sell its popular NIOSA souvenirs on its website and during NIOSA, including the 2023 NIOSA medal
- allow children 12 and under in for free with paying adult.
- continue as one of the top Green events during Fiesta with recycle bins in all of its 14 areas so guests can reduce, reuse and recycle.
- VIA Metropolitan Transit will offer Park and Ride services; check www.viainfo.net/park-and-ride/ for complete information.
- allow members of the Conservation Society to purchase tickets in advance at $15/pp. Join the Society at https://www.saconservation.
- only allow clear bags on the grounds (not tinted plastic) and cannot exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12.″ Exceptions are diaper bags held by guardian. All bags are subject to search.
- not allow strollers, pets, backpacks, ice chests, alcoholic beverages to be brought in.
NEW IN 2023:
- A large selection of Silver Eagle beers and beverages – watch website for updates
- FOOD BOOTHS: Fish and Chips in Irish Flats; Chicken Wings in Main Street; Chili Queens in Haymarket; Potato Pancakes in Sauerkraut Bend; Barney Bacon is returning to Irish Flats
For more information, visit https://www.niosa.org/, contact (210) 226-5188 or email@example.com, or follow NIOSA on Facebook at www.facebook.com/NIOSA.NIOSA/ and Instagram at www.instagram.com/