Pabst Blue Ribbon Announces an Art Walk Through Downtown San Antonio on April 24
The Pabst Blue Ribbon free, reservations only art walk will showcase murals by a range of local, regional and national artists!
Pabst Brewing Company is excited to announce “The Mural Connection,” a one-day art walk event taking place on Saturday, April 24, 2021, celebrating San Antonio’s arts community. As part of its commitment to supporting emerging artists, Pabst Blue Ribbon has partnered with the San Antonio Street Art Initiative (SASAI) and various artists to showcase new murals by local, regional and national artists throughout downtown San Antonio.
Art Walk Participants
Participants in “The Mural Connection” will start at the San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA) and end the walk at Pabst Blue Ribbon Studios in Southtown. The event will feature several stops along the trail, with one “hot stop” at Hopscotch where walkers can rest, grab something to drink and take in the sights. The trail is as follows:
- Start: 1:00 p.m. – San Antonio Museum of Art – 200 W Jones Ave.
- As the starting point of the day, participants can check in at the Museum from 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to scan the official event mural map QR code, featuring event details and the mural map for the participant’s journey. Participants can then experience the first mural by San Antonio artist Gary Sweeney and grab refreshments before they continue the rest of the mural walk.
- Participants are encouraged to find free parking at the SASAI pillars located on the corner of Quincy & St. Mary’s and walk a few blocks to the first stop at SAMA. Paid parking is also available at SAMA.
- Former “San Antonio Brake & Clutch” Building – 891 Avenue B
- Participants can view a mural by Los Otros at their leisure.
- Pabst Marketing/Culture Building – Corner of Avenue B & 6th St.
- Participants will have a chance to view murals by Angela Fox, Connie Chapa, and Jenkins2D at their leisure.
- 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. – “Hot Stop” at Hopscotch – 711 Navarro St., Suite 100
- Participants are encouraged to stop along their journeys at Hopscotch’s lounge to refresh and take in the sights and sounds, including music by DJ Pop Guy Freakshow. Participants will be given a code to receive 30% off of admission to experience the rest of Hopscotch’s interactive gallery at the day of the event or return and use the code for a future visit.
- Corner of S. Alamo and Commerce St.
- Participants will have the chance to view a mural by Manola & Maria Ramirez at their leisure.
- Corner of S. Alamo and Market St.
- Participants will have the chance to view an art installation by Essential Collective at their leisure.
- 328 Martinez St.
- Participants will have the chance to view murals by San Antonio artists James Supa and Albert Gonzales at their leisure.
- 812 S. Alamo St.
- Participants will have the chance to view a mural by Ricardo Oviedo aka Trout at their leisure.
- Finish: 5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Pabst Blue Ribbon Studios – 1112 S. St. Mary’s St.
- To close out the event, Pabst will host an artist reception at their recently opened gallery space to be installed by acclaimed street art gallery curator, Shek Vega of Gravelmouth Gallery. The celebration will feature music from DJ Rob Wolf, a mural by Ashley Dreyfus – Pabst 2020 Art Can Contest Winner, additional artwork, prizes and more. The event will also feature a food truck vendor as well as refreshments.
Social Media Sharing
Guests are encouraged to share pictures of their journeys on social media using the hashtags #Pabst and #SanAntonioStreetArt at the various stops along the way. Participants that tag and post at each of the mural stops will have a chance to win official prizes from SASAI at the reception at Pabst Blue Ribbon Studios from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Artists involved in “The Mural Connection” include Gary Sweeney, Nik Soup, Shek Vega, Angela Fox, Connie Chapa, Jenkins2D, Manola and Maria Ramirez, Essentials Collective, James Supa, Albert Gonzales, Ricardo Oviedo AKA Trout, and Ashley Dreyfus – Pabst 2020 Art Can Contest Winner. Full artist bios can be viewed here.
Pabst Blue Ribbon has done similar art walks in other cities across the globe, but following the company’s move to San Antonio last year, Pabst has tapped into San Antonio’s vibrant art culture. The brewing company hopes that “The Mural Connection” will encourage San Antonians to support local artists while becoming more familiar with walking and biking trails throughout downtown. The event also supports SASAI’s Phase III initiative to build “The Largest Outdoor Gallery in Texas™” and continue advocating for public art and its artists through SASAI’s signature Artist Development Program.
“Ever since Pabst’s headquarters relocated to San Antonio last year, the city’s various communities, especially its artistic community, have embraced us with open arms,” said Moima Chowoe, Pabst Community and Social Impact Lead. “Pabst has always been a supporter of change-makers and creative doers across the U.S., so we definitely want to highlight and support the doers here. San Antonio is filled with so much creativity and we’re excited to be a part of it.”
Reservations & Closing Celebration
The closing celebration will feature music by DJ Rob Wolf, prizes from SASAI, merchandise and additional artwork on display at the studio. Those interested in participating in “The Mural Connection” art walk can RSVP at SanAntonioStreetArt.Org/. Tickets to participate in “The Mural Connection” are free by reservation only; limited tickets are available due to COVID restrictions. The after party will be open to the public, but RSVP’d participants will have first access to the space. Masks and social distancing are enforced for each stop and hand sanitizer stations will be available at various stops along the way.