Half Day Hikes – 2020 The Year in Review
At Half Day Hikes as we step into 2021 with hope and newfound positivity of things to come, it’s also important to reflect upon the biggest moments of 2020, which has, at its best, been a tough year for all.
Texas state parks experienced unprecedented numbers of visitors last year. Half Day Hikes has worked to expand our trail guidebook series to ensure that people are able to experience the parks in a safe and enjoyable way.
In 2020, Half Day Hikes:
- Sold over 1,000 guides through park stores, Amazon, and REI stores in Austin and San Antonio, Texas.
- Donated $2,400 to Texas Parks & Wildlife from the purchases of our three guides.
- Published two new hiking guides: Franklin Mountains State Park and Lost Maples State Natural Area.
- Ranked as a Top 10 Best Seller in “Big Bend Texas Travel Books” on Amazon in December 2020 for our guide on Big Bend Ranch State Park.
Our upcoming projects include:
- Garner State Park Guide: Available Spring 2021. Located on the Frio River in the Texas Hill Country, Garner State Park features 12 hikes along scenic trails to panoramic vistas, several caves, historical landmarks, and the backcountry – away from the crowds.
- Hill Country State Natural Area Guide: Well known for its equestrian facilities and 40 miles of multi-use trails, it offers spectacular views and a true Texas Hill Country escape.
Along the way, we did plenty of fieldwork — and had fun! — in the great outdoors…
- Hiked over 300 miles
- Climbed 16,000 feet in elevation
- Camped 52 nights across multiple Texas state parks in Priscilla, our Airstream Travel Trailer (yes, she has a name!)
- Mastered the art of cooking in our Roccbox Pizza Oven, with “Cowboy Ribeye” our signature dish. This was inspired by our fieldwork at Hill Country State Natural Area and yes, you guessed it, in Bandera – also known as the “Cowboy Capital of the World”.
We are very thankful for our new friendships created during the year with the incredible staff at Texas Parks & Wildlife.
We look forward to continuing our journey together in 2021 to expand Half Day Hikes’ guidebook series and increase our donations to support Texas Parks & Wildlife.