From Trying Your Hand at Mixology to Picking Up a Pre-Made Michelada Mix or Joining a Virtual Wine Tasting, There is Something for Every Quarantined Drinker from These Texas Booze Brands & Bars
Looking to support Texas booze brands and bars while being home? There’s a little something for each type of drinker from a clean, ready-to-drink beverage, to a spicy homemade michelada mix or even a virtual wine tasting. And there are some cocktail recipes in case your are looking to play bartender with your at-home bar.
For drinkers who want to shake up their at-home bar and try Latino drinking traditions:
Twang Reserve Michelada Mix
- Headquartered in San Antonio
- Texas, the family-owned company, Twang, has a homemade Twang Reserve Michelada Cocktail Mix to conveniently create the Mexican beer cocktail from home, inspired by the Treviño recipe. While each of Twang’s brands is an embrace of their Latino upbringing in South Texas, the michelada mix offers fans an authentic drinking experience through its all natural, seven-vegetable blend. Bottles range in size and price including $4.99 for a 16 oz. glass bottle and $7.99 for a 32 oz. glass bottle. Twang products are available to purchase online to ship nationally with free shipping right now through the Twang store, on Amazon and can be purchased in liquor and grocery stores across the country.
- Rim glass with Twang Michelada Beer Salt
- Fill glass with ice and garnish with lime
- Pour in 2.5 oz of Michelada Cocktail Mix to taste
- Add 12 oz. of your favorite beer
For adventure seekers looking for an excuse to get outdoors with a can in hand:
CANTEEN Sparkling Vodka Soda
- Headquartered in Austin, Texas
- Created for adventurers, each can of the recently launched sparkling vodka soda, CANTEEN, contains just 5% ABV and is zero carbs – zero sugar – zero sodium – and only 99 Calories. If your readers are looking to escape the house responsibility and enjoy the outdoors – from kayaking solo to gazing at the stars in the evening – CANTEEN is a RTD (Ready to Drink) option without the guilt. CANTEEN uses real, gluten-free vodka, instead of malt beer or fermented white sugar, like other hard seltzers. There are five flavors including Watermelon, Lime, Black Cherry, Grapefruit and Cucumber Mint and CANTEEN is being sold in 6-packs, with an average retail price of $10.99 to $12.99. The canned vodka soda is available in grocery and liquor stores across the U.S., the product locator is here and it is available for delivery on Drizly. @CanteenSpirits
For cocktail pros looking to master their martini making skills:
- Name: The Esquire Tavern’s Duke’s Martini
- Location: San Antonio, TX
- Recipe – 50:50 Freezer Martini
- The Duke’s Martini, found at The Esquire Tavern in downtown San Antonio, is the quintessential classic freezer martini, but I prefer this softer version of a 50:50 Martini. This will work for many spirit-forward cocktails as well; ie Negroni, Manhattan, Boulevardier, Tuxedo, etc
- 50:50 Freezer Martini – Buy (1) 750mL bottle of Navy Strength Gin (I like Hayman’s Royal Dock) & (1) bottle of Dry Vermouth (I like Dolin Dry). First, wash your hands for 20 seconds, then empty half of one bottle into a clean measuring cup, pour half of the other bottle into that bottle to fill it, and then what’s in the measuring cup back in the other bottle to fill that one. Put both full bottles in the freezer, wait a couple hours & then pour yourself a Martini, and another after that, and more for days to come! Express the oil of a lemon peel over the drink for enhanced aromatics and enjoy some Castelvetrano olives on the side, or even add some olive juice to your mix if you’re really feeling frisky, and are willing to get dirty in this time of quarantine.
- Recipe by Beverage Director Houston Eaves
For those who want to learn more about wine, while supporting local
- Hye, Texas (Texas Hill Country)
- William Chris Vineyards creates Old World-style Texas-grown wines. Since 2008, winegrowers William “Bill” Blackmon and Chris Brundrett have expanded the estate vineyards and partner with family-owned farms to source only the highest quality fruit. At William Chris, they pride themselves on sharing the genuine taste of Texas terroir while delivering a one-of-a-kind experience. The Old World method integrates farming, tradition, and local culture, and Bill and Chris kept this in mind as they sought out a property to build their winery. Deciding on a farmstead in the historic town of Hye, Texas, William Chris Vineyards’ first tasting room began in the estate’s restored 1905 farmhouse and has grown exponentially since.
- Quarantine offerings: WCV has recently launched an interactive Virtual Tastings on Facebook Live with their founders and winemaking team taking place every Saturday at 4pm. They offer a new Virtual Tasting 4-pack each week online, starting at $99 with shipping included – guests must purchase by the prior Tuesday at 5pm in order to receive the shipment in time for the tasting on Saturday. They also have other specials in their online wine shop and launched a series of Facebook Live sessions with daily Happy Hours at 5pm Mon-Fri with their in-house sommelier and Director of Wine Education.
For those who want a quarantini that’s high in alkaline and low in BS
- Proudly made in Austin, TX
- Launched in 2019, FIX Vodka is the first high-alkaline vodka to be made in the United States. FIX Vodka is made from corn and high-pH water sourced from deep, natural Texas aquifers. Proudly made in Austin, Texas, FIX Vodka is naturally gluten-free, hand-bottled and is filtered 10 times through organic coconut husk charcoal. In 2020, the brand won the Silver medal for taste in the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. For more information about FIX Vodka and to stay up on the latest in brand news, distribution and more, please visit fixvodka.com and follow the brand on Facebook.com/FIXVodka and Instagram.com/FIXvodka.