Recipe Alert! Hello Tortellini, Fruit, Chili Peppers…There is a New Pasta Salad on the Menu Thanks to Three Bridges
Most people know how to make a traditional pasta salad – grab the rotini, cucumbers, olives, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese and italian dressing — but why follow the traditional approach when summer is about bringing people together with delicious eats that can only be fully appreciated a few months out of the year?
With summer really just starting to heat up, I’d love to share 3 non-traditional pasta salad recipes (that any non-chef can easily make) that feature the pasta salad’s often under-appreciated sibling — tortellini!
Looking For a Sweet Treat? The Tortellini Melon Salad is truly a no brainer; all you need is fresh fruit (we recommend watermelon and cantaloupe), herbs (basil and mint), feta cheese and olive oil. This serves as a perfect side dish that’s sneakily addicting, you’ll be coming back for seconds and thirds without even realizing it.
Tortellini Melon Salad
A refreshing spin on a supper pasta salad using fresh fruit & herbs.
|1 18 oz pkg||Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini Family Size|
|1 tbsp||extra virgin olive oil|
|3 cups||watermelon (or mix of preferred melon), 1″ cubes|
|2 tbsp||fresh basil leaves, chiffonade|
|2 tbsp||fresh mint leaves, chiffonade|
|4 oz||feta, crumbled|
|salt & black pepper to taste|
- Cook tortellini according to instructions. Let cooked pasta cool in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes
- While tortellini cools, cut melons into 1″ cubes discarding rind and seeds (where applicable).
- Once tortellini is cold, combine tortellini, olive oil, melon, herbs, and feta then carefully mix.
- Top salad with a few herb leaves, Serve & Enjoy!
A Heftier Meat Dish, Perhaps? A Deconstructed Turkey and Tortellini Salad is light and fresh with diced celery, red onions and dried cranberries, but also serves as a heartier snack with fresh turkey chunks (can also be swapped for ham, prosciutto, or whichever meat is calling to you that day!). This dish is reminiscent of Thanksgiving, fulfilling turkey cravings in July, but utilizes a light mayo spread and fresh lemon juice to make it the perfect, light summer salad.
Deconstructed Turkey & Tortellini Salad Sandwich
|1-18 oz pkg||Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini or Rainbow Tortellini|
|2 Cups||cooked turkey, diced 1″|
|1/2 cup||celery, chopped|
|2/3 cup||dried cranberries or cranberry sauce|
|1/4 cup||red onion, diced|
|kosher salt and pepper to taste|
- Cook the Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini according to package directions. Rinse with cold water to chill then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked tortellini and the rest of the ingredients. Gently mix all ingredients to coat.
- Serve with lettuce cups, toast, french roll, or just out of the bowl. Enjoy!
Or Flavors Galore with a Mexican Flare? Tortellini Salad with Pan Roasted Corn, Poblano Chiles and Creme Fraiche is for anyone who loves bold and unique twists on traditional dishes. A little heat from the peppers is nicely complemented by the creme fraiche sauce and additions like cherry tomatoes, diced zucchini and fresh cilantro make every bite packed with mouth-watering flavor.
Triple Cheese Tortellini Salad with Pan Roasted Corn, Poblano Chiles and Crème Fraiche
|9 oz pkg||Three Bridges Triple Cheese Tortellini|
|1 tbsp||olive oil|
|1 cup||fresh corn, pan roasted|
|1||poblano chile, de-seeded and diced 1⁄2”|
|1 cup||zucchini, diced 1⁄2”|
|1 cup||crème fraiche|
|1⁄4 cup||cilantro leaves, roughly chopped|
|kosher salt and pepper to taste|
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, cook pasta according to instructions on package. Drain and rinse under cool water and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Carefully add the chile and corn and reduce heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring frequently, until the corn and chile has char marks, about 5 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini and tortellini to mixing bowl. Add the crème fraiche and season with salt and pepper. Gently toss together. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour the salad into a serving dish and top with the cilantro leaves. Serve and enjoy!
Time to ditch the traditional pasta salad! Cheese tortellini can become your go-to pasta choice for fun and easy summer salads, with just a few ingredients and cooking steps.
About Three Bridges
To create better-for-you meal solutions using only the best, fresh ingredients to exceed your expectations. We make eating better the easiest part of your day.
Three Bridges gives you the peace of mind in knowing that all the ingredients used in our products are the same as those found in Grandma’s cupboard.