Popular Austin Restaurant, Flyrite Chicken, Introduces The Greenbelt Vegan
It may seem strange for a restaurant that has chicken in its name to offer a large slate of vegan dishes, but in Flyrite Chicken’s case, it makes perfect sense. Flyrite Chicken has remained steadfastly dedicated to creating a community table where everyone can conveniently enjoy thoughtfully crafted, guilt-free, hormone-free food, so using those same principals to make vegetarian/vegan, gluten-free and dairy-free options was a natural consequence.
“We have created vegan and veggie options that can hold their own on a menu rather than just be ‘trendy additions,’” says Dallas Miller, Director of Operations for Flyrite Chicken. “We just introduced The Greenbelt sandwich to complement our great vegan sides and the reception has been incredible. We had people trying to order The Greenbelt before we even officially introduced it on the menu; they are constantly asking for more vegan dishes.”
The anticipation for The Greenbelt was fueled by a naming contest hosted by @ATXVegans which resulted in 300+ entries. The Flyrite team narrowed it down to two names and over 450 people voted across all platforms.
The Greenbelt sandwich is made of a crispy vegan multi-grain patty served on a vegan bun with homemade Flyrite pickles, vegan mayo, vegan cheese, crispy onion strings, lettuce, tomato and Flyrite’s homemade spicy vegan BBQ sauce. The patty can also be added to any salad.
Other vegan offerings—all that are also gluten-free—include:
- Veggie Wrap (GF) (V) – Tempura fried cauliflower rolled in a rice paper wrap with lettuce, kale slaw and fresh herb mix. Served chilled with choice of sauce
- Fries (GF) (V) – Skin-on Yukon potatoes
- Tots (GF) (V) – Made with Yukon potatoes
- Kale Slaw (GF) (V) – Blend of kale, red and green cabbage, carrots, green onion, tossed in a rice wine vinaigrette
- Fruit Cup (GF) (V) – Seasonal blend of fresh fruit garnished with fresh mint
- Other gluten-free and dairy-free dishes available
“The many comments we hear mirror a recent study that shows the importance of flavor is just as important—if not more important—than the environmental/ethical implications of veganism,” Miller adds.“Our customers are so pleased we offer dishes that look and taste delicious. With a quarter of 25- to 34-year old Americans declaring to be vegan or vegetarians, it is not surprising that we get an outpouring of thanks for our dishes, and lots of support when we post about our vegan dishes.”
Things are flying right at Flyrite Chicken:
- Yahoo.com recently included Flyrite Chicken in its “Trending: What’s heating up Austin’s food scene this month” rating, based on increase of Yelp reviews and how the restaurants has “kept its rating consistent at three stars.”
- Flyrite just announced another new craft sandwich–The Hippie Hollow—made of its original crispy chicken breast topped with Swiss cheese, caramelized yellow onions, and baby portobello mushrooms.
- Flyrite’s third location that opened in March 2019 in the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport is enjoying very robust sales that far exceeded the expected proforma the first full week it was open, and continues to increase every month.
- Flyrite’s Lunch Money Fund that supports Austin ISD’s program to make sure every student has access to a healthy, tasty meal is growing steadily—fueled by Flyrite’s commitment to donate a portion of every purchase of its popular, quarterly “Limited Time Offer” sandwiches. The fund specifically offsets ASID’s costs to ensure every student gets a meal at lunch.
- Flyrite recently donated $1,000 to Austin 8th grader Ben Hofer’s fundraising project to help eliminate school lunch debt through his “LunchCounts! No child should be hungry at school!” GoFundMe account, and made Ben a Flyrite VIP who will receive free food from the restaurant until he graduates high school.
- In addition, Flyrite is currently executing four “carry in” programs with AISD high schools to support the healthy food initiatives of AISD.
- Flyrite has expanded its support of AISD teachers by offering a discount of 20% of their entire meal, seven days a week
- Flyrite now offers items on its menu from two partnerships with like-minded healthy businesses in Austin: zest or activated charcoal lemonade from the Juice Society; Restart CBD that customers can add to their favorite drink. Flyrite is also providing chicken and its ranch dressing to Via 313 Pizza for a charity pizza it is producing.
Flyrite’s menu includes both fried and grilled chicken sandwiches on buns from the New World Bakery, salads, wraps, shakes, dessert, craft beers, sides, a kid’s menu and a whole array of breakfast items. Flyrite’s slate of made in-house sauces include Sriracha Mayo, Spicy BBQ, Ranch, Honey Dijon, Thai Chili, Cucumber Yogurt, Avocado Salsa and Hoss Sauce.
Miller adds: “At Flyrite, we only work with and source from companies that have a similar vision, and share in our belief in the bigger picture: the health and sustainability of our entire planet. We keep this in mind every day as we strive to lead by example to make positive, impactful changes by educating and increasing awareness of sustainability. All packaging at all Flyrite locations is compostable, recyclable or made from recycled materials.“
An Austin-based company, the original Flyrite Chicken opened in 2016 and is located at 2129 East 7th Street in east Austin. The second location was opened in 2017 at 6539 Burnet Road in north Austin, followed by the opening of the third location in the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in March 2019.
The east and north Austin locations offer a catering menu with a wide range of individual sandwiches, wraps and pans of Flyrite’s crispy tenders served with its favorite sauces and sides—for pick-up or delivery. Details can be found at http://www.flyritechicken.com/catering.
Kevin Warden, a local Austinite and Which Wich alum, continues as Founder and President. To stay up-to-date on all Flyrite Chicken news and events, visit www.FlyriteChicken.com and follow Flyrite on Facebook at www.facebook.com/FlyriteChicken, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/FlyriteChicken, and on Instagram at www.instagram.com/flyritechicken.