5 Healthy Summer Holiday Recipes from Guiding Stars
It’s almost time to pull out your red, white and blue tablecloth! Aside from burgers and beer, Independence Day is also an opportunity to get healthy and crafty in the kitchen.
Guiding Stars, a nutritional guidance program, pulled together a list of holiday recipes, including snacks, main meals and of course dessert, that are healthy and taste great.
It seems to me that main dishes and desserts get all the glory. Lots of times side dishes are an afterthought, and coming up with something to put “on the side” ends up being a hunt through the fridge or pantry for anything that can fill in the empty space on the plate. When we do that, we shortchange both our plates and our palates.
A delicious variation on a traditional dish, this easy coleslaw uses Dijon and dill to bring pep to your crunchy cabbage side. Make ahead by a day or two for the best flavor.
- ⅓ cup plain, low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. dill
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- ¼ cup green onions, sliced
- ½ cup carrots, shredded
- ½ cup raisins
- Whisk together dressing ingredients
- Toss together slaw ingredients in a large bowl. Toss with dressing to coat.
Make a full batch of the roasted chickpeas and enjoy the leftovers for snacks. Added to salads, they offer a nice, flavorful crunch that, packed with protein and fiber, will keep you full. The dressing, however, is what really makes this salad pop. Whisk up extra and store in the fridge for easy, protein-packed dressings for your favorite salads.
- ROASTED CHICKPEAS:
- 1 (29 oz.) can no-salt-added chickpeas, rinsed and well-drained
- ⅛ tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ cup hummus
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- Water to thin
- 8 oz. spring mix lettuce
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- ¾ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 20 low-sodium whole grain pita chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Toss chickpeas with spices and roast in a single layer on a baking sheet, stirring every 10 minutes, until crunchy (30-40 minutes).
- Whisk together hummus, garlic, dill, and lemon juice in a small mixing bowl. Whisk in just enough warm water to make pourable.
- Toss salad ingredients together with roasted chickpeas and dressing.
TROPICAL GINGER PUNCH
Replace the sodas and sugary punches with this delightful mix of tropical punches, which is enlivened by the kick of fresh ginger. If you like your ginger strong, mix this up well in advance of your party to give the liquid more time to become infused with ginger.
- 3 cups 100% orange juice
- 3 cups 100% pineapple juice
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 4 cups club soda
- Orange wedges (optional)
- In a large pitcher, stir together orange juice, pineapple juice, and ginger.
- Refrigerate to infuse punch with ginger (1 hour).
- Just before serving, stir in club soda.
- Serve over ice, garnished with orange wedges, if desired.
MUSHROOM BEEF BURGERS
If you’re a lover of beef burgers, enjoying your passion while being smart about nutrition and sustainability can be a tough balance to find. These burgers are worth a try. Using mushrooms to make a little meat go further, they are still very much a meat burger. Keep in mind too that the nutrition difference in a burger happens in the toppings: a nice balance of veggies is a healthier choice than loads of cheese and condiments that are packed with salt and sugar.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 8 oz. mushrooms, minced
- ¼ tsp. mushroom base
- ¼ tsp. beef base
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 lb. 95% lean ground beef
- ½ tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. low-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole grain buns
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 cup sprouts
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook until browned and moisture has released (3-5 minutes).
- Move mushrooms to a bowl and chill until cooled (15-20 minutes).
- Dissolve both bases in warm water. Pour over cooled mushrooms.
- Season ground beef with pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Mix in the mushrooms until thoroughly combined. Form into four patties of desired thickness.
- Heat the skillet over high heat. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil, then the burgers. Cover with a lid and let cook until seared (2-3 minutes). Flip, leave lid off, and cook to desired doneness (2-5 minutes).
- Place burgers on buns and top with vegetables.
STRAWBERRY ALMOND BUTTER SMOOTHIE
Enjoy this smoothie for breakfast or to cool down on a hot summers afternoon. If you have frozen fruit, you can use it frozen and leave out the ice, which can be easier if your blender is lower in power.
- 8 oz. strawberries, frozen
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 Tbsp. smooth almond butter
- Put all ingredients into blender or food processor and process until smooth. Serve immediately.