Know Before You Go so You Won’t be Confused About Confucius
If you are attending the Confucius Wishing Lanterns event on the River Walk Feb 9th and are Confused About Confucius, here are a few thing you should know to make your life easier. These key points will help you navigate the event like a professional Sumo Wrestler.
This event is a social media darling and going viral. Last year 15,000 people attended, and we have prepared for twice that number this year!
- Lanterns sales open on event day, 3pm-8pm or until sold-out
- 5 selling areas with a total of 44 selling lanes (see map for locations below)
- Bring cash, small bills, Lanterns are $5 each (no tax)
- Only 1 credit card lane offered at each of the 5 selling stations
- 1 Dedicated Will Call station (with 6 lanes) for pick-up of pre-ordered lanterns (see map, 368 E. Market Street, opposite Hemisfair Park). Pre-purchased lanterns are not shipped
- Online lantern pre-order ends Wednesday, February 6 at 5pm
- 5 decoration stations located on River Level. Please return markers after using so others may enjoy
- Bathrooms available under the convention center glass skywalk bridge. Bathrooms on the east side, river level, closest to the Hyatt. Multiple street level port-o-lets (restrooms) have been added around ticket sales areas.
- Launch area has quadrupled from last year (see map below)
- Lanterns may be launched beginning at 6:30pm. Please don’t launch before!
- Elevator access from street level to river level is available in the Convention center near ticket sales, Shops at Rivercenter, and at Alamo and Commerce Street (near the Torch of Friendship) See event map below
- Event map below marked for nearby city garages.
- Come downtown early – make a day of it!
- From 5-6pm only Asian entertainment will be held in the Shops at Rivercenter lagoon from courtesy of UTSA’s Confucius Institute
- 30,000 are available plus 4,000 illuminated butterfly sticks
- To locate the event on the River Walk use one of two addresses to find the event location. The first is Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse (600 E Market St.) – the event will be held in the entire convention center lagoon area this year (larger area to launch and view). The second launch location is now at the Shops at Rivercenter (849 E. Commerce St)
- The event will be held in rain or cold weather (covered areas are available)
- If unsafe weather conditions prevent the event to be held on February 9th, February 10th and February 17th have been reserved as backup dates. Please check TheSanAntonioRiverWalk.com/events to determine if the event date has been postponed. We will post reschedule information no later than February 9th at Noon
About Confucius Wishing Lanterns
An ethereal experience of casting lanterns into the river in honor of loved ones, hopes, dreams, and wishes. Admission is free. Lanterns are $5 each (sold at the event) and are made of eco-friendly rice paper lantern with a LED candle. Pens will be available to decorate and personalize your lanterns. Entertainment includes festival dancing to thematic music.