Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House- Fort Worth’s Sous Chef Sean Alvarez Shares Atlantic Cod Recipe for Lent Observers
For Those Seeking Meat Alternatives, One of Del Frisco’s Top Chefs Provides a Healthy At-Home Recipe
For those observing Lent between Ash Wednesday (February 10) and Easter Sunday (March 27), or for those simply making healthy choices during the New Year, finding an easy, tasty alternative to meat can be difficult. Though it is known for its signature hand-cut steaks, Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House, located in downtown Fort Worth, also offers a wide selection of fresh seafood options. Throughout the 40 days of Lent, Del Frisco’s chefs, including Sous Chef Sean Alvarez, are also cooking up their favorite special fish features offered on a daily basis. Chef Alvarez has 20 years of experience in the culinary industry and has been with Del Frisco’s for more than 2 years. In honor of Lent and healthy choices, he shares his very own recipe for Oven Baked Atlantic Cod with Cous Cous.
Oven Baked Atlantic Cod with Cous Cous
Fresh Atlantic Cod filet- 8 oz.
Cous cous- 2 cups
Water- 2 ¼ cups
Sundried Tomatoes, Julienne- ¼ cup
Pine nuts, toasted prior to using- ¼ cup
Fresh basil, chopped- 10 leaves
Canola oil- 2 Tbsp.
Kosher salt- To taste
Cracked black pepper- To taste
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Heat a cast iron skillet or heavy-bottomed sauté pan on stovetop- Should be hot enough when it begins to smoke
- Season cod filet with Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- Sear cod filet top side down in pan for 2 minutes
- Carefully turn fish filet over and bake in oven at 350° F for 6 minutes- Pull out and let sit until ready to plate
- Bring a sauce pot to medium heat on stovetop- Add 2 Canola oil and cous cous and toast for 2 minutes
- Once toasted, add water and allow to boil until cous cous has soaked up all water and is al dente (not too soft, firm to the bite)
- Stir in sundried tomato and pine nuts- Season cous cous to your liking
- Add chopped basil leaves- Adding at the end will allow herb to be tasted more vibrantly than if cooked throughout
- Gently place cod filet atop cous cous to plate
Toast pine nuts prior to using for a nuttier taste by placing in oven at 350° F for 6-7 minutes. This recipe is adjustable and suitable for additional flavors or herbs, depending on personal preference. Play around a little and see what best suits you. Remember, it’s just cooking- don’t make it too difficult, have fun, and enjoy!
About Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House
An American culinary institution, Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House serves up flawless cuisine that is bold and delicious, an extensive award-winning wine list and a level of service that reminds guests that they are the boss. Offering prime steak, fresh-off-the-boat seafood and genuine hospitality, Del Frisco’s is an exceptional steak house, unparalleled in any city. Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steak House has been recognized nationally and has received the DiRoNA Award for Distinguished Restaurants of North America; Nation’s Restaurant News Fine Dining Hall of Fame; Restaurants and Institutions’ Ivy Award; and the Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence for its extensive wine list.