Take a Taste of Tanzania with Authentic African Cuisine Cookbook
MIXED VEGETABLE STEW
- Kacholi – A potato-based appetizer commonly sold by street vendors
- Kachumbari Ya Parachichi – A vibrant salad of avocado, cucumber & tomato
- Maharage Ya Nazi – aka Swahili Beans, a daily staple in Tanzanian households
- Makange Ya Kuku – A popular, flavor-packed chicken dish
- Vipopoo – A homemade dessert pasta traditionally made during Ramadan
- And many more!
Here are two recipes from Miriam’s book: Taste of Tanzania!
MIXED VEGETABLE STEW—MCHUZI WA MBOGA MCHANGANYIKO
Mixed vegetable stew is a mix of any vegetables available. Feel free to mix and add
or remove anything from the list of ingredients. As I said before, in Tanzania, a recipe
belongs to the person who prepares the food!
1/2 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp. minced garlic
2 tbsp. minced ginger
1 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. coriander powder
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 cup carrots, cut in chunks
1 cup green beans
1/2 cup chopped sweet peppers
1 cup peas
1 cup chopped cabbage
1/2 cup coconut milk or coconut cream
1 tbsp. lime juice
1 cup water
2 to 4 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a big pan, sauté onions, and stir until they are almost brown.
2. Add garlic and ginger, continue to mix until the onions are brown.
3. Add turmeric, coriander, and cilantro. Stir for 30 seconds.
4. Add tomatoes, lower heat to medium-low, and cover the pot. Simmer until the tomatoes
soften. Use a cooking spoon to press the tomatoes while cooking to soften them
5. Add carrots and green beans and cook for about 5 minutes. You can add oil or 1/4 cup of water at this point.
6. Add sweet peppers and peas. Cook and stir for 30 seconds.
7. Add cabbage and lime juice, mix well, then add coconut milk and water.
8. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for about 5 minutes.
9. Add water to make stew.
ACHALI AND HOT SAUCES
SWEET MANGO CHUTNEY—ACHALI YA EMBE MBIVU
You can also use this as a dip with your fresh vegetables like carrots, broccoli, etc. Also
use with almost all snacks in this book, nyama choma, grilled fish, etc.
2 ripe large mangoes or 1 1/2 cups mango puree
1 tbsp. minced ginger
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tbsp. habanera peppers
1/2 tsp. whole cumin
1 lime, kafir, or bay leaf
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1. Blend all ingredients except lime leaf.
2. Pour into a pan, add lime leaf, and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Serve at room temperature with snacks or with any meal.
4. Refrigerate leftovers.