Celebrate Mom with AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Icing, Cookies and Cakes
This Mother’s Day, celebrate mom by showing how much you love her with delicious and beautifully decorated AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate cookies and cake.
AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate has a unique place in the hearts and minds of people all over America who appreciate an artisanal, authentic approach to making and celebrating chocolate. Conceived of, and crafted by, a dedicated team of historians and the legendary advocate of American history and chocolate’s unique story in the Americas, Forrest E. Mars, Jr. in 2006, AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate is the result of painstaking years of research by a multi-disciplinary team of more than 115 experts from around the globe.
What makes AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate unique is how it taps into the stories of our collective past – from chocolate’s Mesoamerican roots, dating back over 3500 years, to its place in the lives of European and Colonial American families. For instance, did you know there was a time dating back to Aztec societies when women did not have the privilege of indulging in cacao? A women’s role was in the preparation and vending of chocolate drinks within society…and, women who excelled at making these chocolate treats, had a better chance of attracting a wealthy husband.
While its rich history gives us context for chocolate’s intriguing global story, AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate, with its historic pedigree and variety of product formats, provides an inspiring, versatile way to make, bake, test, explore, play, share and show love. The mildly spicy and slightly sweet recipe is flavoured with a blend of 11 spices and ingredients available during the 18th century that range from the heat of chili peppers, to the warmth of vanilla, to the freshness of orange peel.
To celebrate all of the moms and mother figures in your lives, AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate invites you to try our icing, cookie and cake recipes and experiment with exciting new ways to share love.
AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
These cookies will be your go-to recipe for Mother’s Day, and holiday and seasonal decorating, but they’re just as delicious in their pure form!
Recipe Yield: about 2 dozen 2 ½-inch cookies
Active Time: 30 minutes
Additional Cooking Time: 1½ hours
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
½ cup AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Drink Mix
½ teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, confectioners’ sugar, AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Drink Mix, salt, and vanilla on medium until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out chilled dough on lightly floured work surface to ¼ inch thick.
- Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and transfer to prepared pans.
- Freeze cookies until firm to touch, about 15 minutes.
- Bake until cookies are fragrant and centers are firm to the touch, about 18 minutes.
- Cool on sheet pans 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
AHC Chocolate Cake Recipe
A simple but delicious chocolate cake recipe, perfect for Mother’s Day or any time of the year!
- 2/3 cup AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Drink Mix
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups buttermilk or whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs
Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease two 9” cake pans, set aside.
Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
In a saucepan bring the buttermilk, sugar and butter to a simmer. Cook until the sugar and butter both dissolve. Remove from the heat, stir in the chocolate and mix until it dissolves.
Pour the chocolate mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring until incorporated. Stir in the eggs and vanilla.
Pour batter into prepared cake pans filling them about 2/3 full. Bake until the center is firm and cake tester insert come out clean, about 16 minutes. Let cool.
Rich AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
Use this frosting to decorate AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate shortbread cookies and chocolate cake!
Recipe Yield: Approximately 5 cups of frosting
Active Time: 15 minutes
1 cup unsalted butter, softened and divided
½ cup of AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate Finely Grated Drink Mix
1 AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate block, grated
1 tablespoon low fat milk
3 cups powdered sugar
- Melt ½ cup butter and AMERICAN HERITAGE® Chocolate grated chocolate block in a small sauce pan over medium low heat. Remove from heat.
- Add all remaining ingredients to a large mixing bowl, including melted butter/chocolate. Beat with hand beater until creamy and smooth.
Celebrate Mom with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Recipe Yield: Approximately 2 cups of frosting
Active Time: 10 minutes
4 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 tablespoons milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract, and milk.