Americans Love Cheese and Even Prefer Cheese Over Coffee, Chocolate, & Alcohol
It’s undeniable that Americans love cheese, from sandwiches, to salads, to wedding cakes; cheese can be paired with almost any food group. However, one of the classic uses for cheese remains the same, the classic grilled cheese. To help celebrate “National Grilled Cheese Day,” Boar’s Head Brand® surveyed Americans on their overall feelings towards cheese and uncovered some interesting findings along the way. It turns out, America’s love for cheese is so deep that 87 percent of respondents noted that they would give up either coffee, chocolate, or alcohol before giving up cheese! In fact, Americans don’t just love cheese, they know it as well – sixty percent of respondents could name more than five cheese varieties if asked.
Some additional findings included the following:
- If they could, nine out of ten respondents would eat multiple servings of cheese every day
- When asked about favorite foods, almost half of respondents (46 percent) rank cheese as their first or second favorite, among a selection of food group options; with those aged 25-34 being most likely to rank cheese first (27 percent)
- American cheese is the top choice for sandwiches (68 percent), with Cheddar topping the list for salads at 59 percent
- Fifty percent of Americans prefer grilled cheese with a blend of two or more cheeses
- When asked if cheese were banned where they live, 2/3 of respondents (66 percent) would either definitely move, strongly consider it, or possibly move.
“Cheese is an iconic food not just in America, but around the globe,” said Carlos Giraldo, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Innovation, Boar’s Head Brand. “We wanted to help showcase just how much people here in America love their cheese. At Boar’s Head, we are committed to providing the highest quality delicatessen products, nothing less. From premium, age-imported specialties, to America’s favorites like American and Cheddar, Boar’s Head has an assortment of over 50 delectable varieties to please even the most discerning palates.”
As the #1 premium delicatessen brand, Boar’s Head is highly experienced in the cheese category. Boar’s Head cheeses use the same exacting standards for quality as its premium meats. Boar’s Head Brand® travels the globe to find the most passionate, artisan cheesemakers who employ these standards to ensure exceptional taste.
To learn more about Boar’s Head products, consumers can visit www.boarshead.com/products/cheese. Also, be sure to follow Boar’s Head on Facebook (www.facebook.com/BoarsHead), Instagram (@boarshead_official) and Twitter (@Boars_Head) to stay up to date on the latest product offerings and news.
Below are a couple of Boar’s Head grilled cheese sandwich recipes for your enjoyment tonight!
ALL AMERICAN GRILLED CHEESE
- 2 slices Tuscan Bread
- 2 slices Boar’s Head® Vermont Cheddar Cheese
- 2 slices Boar’s Head® 33% Lower Sodium Bologna
- 2 slices Boar’s Head® American Cheese
- 2 tbsp Delicatessen Style Mustard
- ½ tbsp Butter
DIRECTIONS: Preheat skillet over medium heat. On a clean work surface, layer slice of Tuscan bread, cheddar cheese, bologna, American cheese, and mustard. Top with remaining bread slice. Butter both sides of sandwich and grill in skillet until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side.
SWISS AND HAM GRILLED SOURDOUGH
- 1 Roll sourdough bread
- 4 oz. SmokeMaster® Beechwood Black Forest Ham.
- 4 oz. Switzerland Swiss® Cheese
DIRECTIONS: Pre-heat the oven to 375F. Slice the sourdough bread at desired thickness. On each slice of sourdough bread, place one slice of Switzerland Swiss® Cheese, followed by one slice of SmokeMaster® Ham. Place sandwiches onto a pan, and bake in the oven on 375 for 8-10 minutes, or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm.
About Boar’s Head Brand
Founded in 1905, Boar’s Head Brand has upheld a commitment to unwavering standards for quality for over a century, refusing to take shortcuts that compromise the integrity of its products for the sake of convenience or economy. What started with just a few products has grown to over 500 products, ranging from premium delicatessen meats, cheeses and condiments to an array of Italian and Old-World specialties, hummus and foodservice items. All Boar’s Head meats, cheeses, spreads, and condiments contain no fillers, by-products, MSG added, artificial colors or flavors, gluten, or trans-fat.