8 Reasons We are Celebrating World Pistachio Day
February 26 is World Pistachio Day and there are more than 8 reasons to celebrate! Pistachios are a delicious snack that are loaded with nutrients that promote whole body health. Below are just a few of the reasons why Setton Farms love to celebrate this special day.
- Heart Health- with all the nutrients in pistachios, they are a heart healthy snack you can feel good about eating. Scientific evidence suggests that eating 1.5 ounces of pistachios as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may lower the risk of heart disease.
- Prebiotics- I know you’ve heard of probiotics, but if you don’t consume a prebiotic before your probiotic, the probiotic is much less effective. Grab a handful of pistachios to keep your gut in tip top shape!
- Vitamin B6- your body uses vitamin B6 to keep your brain and nervous system healthy, it also helps produce serotonin which will help regulate your sleep schedule.
- Fiber- this helps you feel full for longer. Load up on fibrous foods like pistachios to help keep your hunger in check!
- Protein- this helps your body build and repair tissues in addition to contributing to bone and muscle health.
- Antioxidants- antioxidants help to protect the body from free radical molecules and can protect you from diseases.
- They have the largest serving size- other snack nuts only have between 10-20 nuts per serving. Grab 49 pistachios for a powerful and satisfying snack!
- They’re delicious! There are so many yummy ways to eat pistachios including Setton Farms Pistachio Chewy Bites, Naturally Flavored Pistachios, and Roasted Salted Pistachios. Check out www.settonfarms.com for delicious ways to incorporate pistachios into your cooking!
With two main ingredients, Pistachio + Cranberry Chewy Bites provide healthy snack lovers the amazing benefits of pistachios and cranberries in a delicious and nutritious bite-size bar. Pistachio Chewy Bites are heart-healthy, 100% all natural, gluten and dairy free, low in sodium, GMO free, vegan and a great on-the-go protein snack. They also have no cholesterol, zero trans-fat and are a good source of dietary fiber. These nutrient-rich snack bars provide a great balance of carbohydrates, protein and fat for sustainable energy. With 7 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber and healthy fat, the individually wrapped bars are the perfect one stop shop.
Available in major grocery store chains across the country such as: Bristol Farms, Fairway, Shoprite, A&P, Roundy’s, HEB, Safeway, Ingles, Gelson’s, King Kullen, Earth Fare, Price Chopper, Wegmans, Save Mart, Lucky, Hy-Vee, Shop n’ Save, etc. They are also available online at Amazon.com and Puritan.com.
Pricing: 6-Pack $5.99 and 16-Pack $12.50
Here are some wonderful recipes incorporating Pistachio Chewy Bites:
Pistachio Chewy Bite Oatmeal Muffins with Pistachio
Yields 1 dozen muffins
½ cup vegan butter
2/3 cup evaporated cane sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
¾ cup vegan sour cream
¾ cups almond milk, curdled with 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup un-bleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup rolled oats
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 teaspoons ground flax seeds
6 Setton Farms Pistachio Chewy Bites, roughly chopped
Streusel Topping Ingredients:
2 tablespoons evaporated cane sugar
¼ cup chopped, Setton Farms roasted pistachio kernels
1 tablespoon vegan butter
1 tablespoon un-bleached all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon, ground cinnamon
Dash sea salt
1 tablespoon rolled oats
Pre-heat oven to 350°.
In a large mixing bowl, or electric mixer with a paddle attachment, cream together ½ cup butter and 2/3 cup sugar. Add maple syrup, sour cream, almond milk, vanilla extract and blend until uniform.
In a large bowl, combine flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax seeds. Whisk to combine. Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and whisk until just mixed and uniform. Fold in Setton Farms Pistachio Chewy Bites. Set aside.
To create topping, pulse sugar, pistachios, butter, flour, cinnamon and sea salt in a food processor. Fold in oats. Set aside.
Grease a cupcake pan. Fill each cup with batter until 2/3 full. Top each muffin with streusel.
Bake 26-28 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.
Source: Spork Foods
Spicy Mediterranean Pistachio Chewy Bite Cous Cous
1 box (10 oz) organic cous cous (or brown rice cous cous)
½ teaspoon sea salt, plus to taste
1 bag Setton Farms Pistachio Chewy Bites (6 pieces)
½ teaspoon red chili flakes
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus zest of ½ lemon
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
Fill a medium saucepot with water according to cous cous box directions and bring to a boil. Add sea salt. Prepare according to directions.
Meanwhile, remove Pistachio Chewy Bites from wrappers and dice each Chewy Bite into 10 or 12 pieces. Set aside.
Fluff cous cous with a fork when cooked and transfer into a large bowl. Add chopped Pistachio Chewy Bites, lemon juice and zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, and fresh thyme. Toss together until well mixed. Season to taste with additional sea salt if desired.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Source: Spork Foods
Blueberry Pistachio Coconut Fudge
Yields 12 squares
1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
6 dates, pitted
1 ¼ cups cashew butter
2/3 cup organic frozen blueberries
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons maple syrup
3 tablespoons un-sweetened almond milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 bag Setton Farms Blueberry Coconut Pistachio Chewy Bites, roughly chopped
2 teaspoons shredded coconut, for topping *Optional
¼ cup fresh blueberries, for topping *Optional
In a large blender or food processor, add coconut oil, dates, cashew butter, blueberries, coconut flour, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla extract, and sea salt. Blend until uniform and creamy. Gently fold in chopped Blueberry Coconut Pistachio Chewy Bites.
Transfer mixture to a greased 8 x 8 square dish. Top with coconut and blueberries if desired, and freeze for 2 hours to overnight.
Let thaw for 5 minutes before serving, then slice into squares and serve.
© Spork Foods, 2017