Supercharge Traditional BBQ Recipes with THE COCOA EXCHANGE™’s POD & BEAN™ Products
This summer, supercharge traditional BBQ recipes for picnic and poolside cocktails with cocoa. Comfort foods such as BBQ baked beans, spiced corn, flatbread pizza, and wings are simply more decadent when paired with a hint of cocoa and chocolate, adding a unique depth of taste. THE COCOA EXHANGE™’s POD & BEAN™ portfolio of sauces and seasoning blends, are your new secret ingredients in the kitchen. Best of all, the sauces will supercharge traditional BBQ recipes by adding another layer of flavor without adding unnecessary salt or sugar. The brand offers limitless savory options all made with chocolate, from White Chocolate Raspberry Honey Mustard to Chipotle Hot Sauce. You’ll find that cocoa goes with just about everything.
Grilled Apricot and Watercress Salad – Supercharge traditional BBQ recipes
4 medium apricots, halved and pit removed
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small shallot, minced
1 small head green leaf lettuce, washed and torn into 1-inch pieces
1 large bunch of watercress, washed, dried, and cut into 1-inch length pieces
4 oz. Grana Padano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, shaved into thin slices
¾ cup pine nuts or macadamia nuts, toasted and chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a grilling plate over a stovetop burner or preheat a grill.
- Brush cut side of apricots with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle with salt/pepper; grill on the cut side, until seared but intact (about 2 minutes).
- Whisk remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, blackberry chipotle sauce, and shallot together in large bowl; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add lettuce and watercress in a large bowl, toss with oil mixture and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Divide salad among individual plates; top each with 2 apricot halves, cheese and nuts. (Note: shaving a block of cheese with a vegetable peeler lets you create a long, thin slice that is visually beautiful and brings a salty contrast to the sweet grilled fruit).
Flatbread Pizza with Stone Ground Mustard, Fig and Prosciutto – Supercharge traditional BBQ recipes
1 large flatbread crust
2 Tbsp. Pod & Bean™ Stone Ground Mustard
1 brie wheel, sliced thin
½ small onion, sliced thin
5 figs, stems removed, quartered lengthwise
4 slices Prosciutto di Parma
¼ cup parmigiano reggiano, shaved
- Preheat oven to 450° F.
- Evenly spread mustard on top of flatbread crust.
- Evenly distribute brie slices on top of flatbread.
- Top with onions and evenly distribute fig slices.
- Bake pizza on tray for 10-12 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from oven and top with prosciutto and parmesan cheese.
Korean Honey BBQ Skewers – Supercharge traditional BBQ recipes
¼ cup POD & BEAN™ KOREAN BBQ SAUCE
2 tbsp honey
1 lb sirloin steak (or your favorite protein)
¼ tsp Kosher salt
8 long wooden skewers, soaked at least 20 minutes
2 tbsp green onions, sliced thin
1 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Combine POD & BEAN™ KOREAN BBQ SAUCE and honey together in a small bowl.
- Season steak with salt, slice thin and place on skewers.
- Heat lightly oiled grill to medium heat. Add steak to the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on one side, turn and cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Brush the glaze on the steak, turn and brush on the remaining side.
- Cook an additional minute or until meat is cooked to desired readiness.
- Transfer to a platter, brush with any remaining glaze and top with sesame seeds and scallions.
Sticky Teriyaki Pork Ribs – Supercharge traditional BBQ recipes
2 racks of pork ribs (around 3 lbs. each; Baby back or St. Louis cut)
1 cup POD & BEAN™ GINGER ORANGE TERIYAKI
1 cup granulated sugar
½ cup dry sherry or Japanese cooking wine (sake)
½ cup soy sauce
1 piece of ginger, washed and sliced into rounds
5 garlic cloves, smashed
2 tsp POD & BEAN™ CANTONESE SEASONING BLEND
5 green onions (scallions); cut white part into 1-inch and green part into garnishing size
FOR THE GLAZE
1 (10.5 oz.) jar of red pepper jelly
½ cup cider vinegar
½ tsp POD & BEAN™ CANTONESE SEASONING BLEND
green onion (scallion) garnishing from above
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and put rack in middle position. Remove the skin-membrane on the backside of the ribs but loosening with tip of knife and grabbing loosened piece with paper towel; pull skin-membrane off slowly.
- In a large roasting pan, mix Ginger Orange Teriyaki sauce, sugar, sherry/sake, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, Cantonese blend, and white sections of the green onion. Coat ribs with mixture, place rib (meat side down) in pan; cover pan tightly with foil. Cook until tender (about 2.5 hours).
- After ribs are done, collect/strain 3 cups of cooking liquid from roasting pan and put into a large sauce pan (throw away the solids and remaining liquid if any). Skim the fat from the liquid in the sauce pan. Mix in the red pepper jelly, vinegar, and Cantonese blend. Bring to simmer and reduce for about 15 minutes (should end up with about 2 cups of a syrup-like liquid). Turn off heat and let cool.
- Turn on oven to broil (keep rack in middle position). Put a cookie cooling rack onto a sheet tray (with a rim), place ribs meat side down on rack and brush with glaze. Broil ribs until they begin to brown (about 2-3 minutes). Flip ribs, repeat process. Do this a few times over until you get a deep brown sticky glaze covering the ribs. This is an important step so watch ribs carefully so you don’t burn them!
- Let ribs rest once completed for 10 minutes, slice between bones, sprinkle with garnishing green onions and some Cantonese Blend — serve with remaining glaze if desired.
- Pour a ½ cup of water into the sheet tray while broiling the ribs – helps make the clean up process easier at the end!
- Make life easier for yourself and heat up some Uncle Ben’s® Ready Rice to pair with the roasted veggies and ribs!
- These ribs are sticky! Squeeze ½ a lemon into a small container of water and have several paper towels soaking in the liquid; this lets you eat with your fingers and have a way to clean up!
32 oz. tomato juice
2 oz. lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
2 oz. lime juice (about 2-3 limes)
4 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp smoked paprika
5 tbsp horseradish
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1-2 tsp POD & BEAN™ CHIPOTLE HOT SAUCE
- Pour over ice and serve with celery stalk, olives, or a strip of bacon.
- To make alcoholic version, add 1 ½ oz. favourite vodka to 3 oz. Bloody Mary base, shake and serve over ice. Garnish.
THE COCOA EXHANGE™, a direct to consumer platform that provides a rewarding way to turn a passion for cocoa into a worthwhile profession. THE COCOA EXCHANGE™ products are designed to be experienced, not to sit on a store shelf, which is why the brand brings them to consumers directly through specially curated in-home experiences. Cocoa has been a passion of the Mars family for more than 100 years. Launched in the family kitchen in Tacoma, Washington, today Mars, Inc. is the world’s largest chocolate company. This exceptional pedigree, combined with the contribution of three in-house culinary chefs, brings chocolate to life in unexpected formats that are 100% exclusive to the THE COCOA EXCHANGE™. Committed to providing a truly wide-ranging experience, THE COCOA EXCHANGE™ offers three curated, proprietary brands including DOVE® SIGNATURE™, PURE DARK™, and POD & BEAN™. The direct to consumer format of THE COCOA EXCHANGE™ provides a simple and rewarding opportunity for anyone looking for a “side hustle.” As a Curator, any cocoa-obsessed individual can take their love of chocolate and turn it into their own business by hosting an in-home tasting experience for friends and family. With the culinary expertise of Mars and a broad range of chocolate offerings, individuals can customize their approach based on their preferences and the tastes of their Hosts and customers. THE COCOA EXCHANGE™ is also committed to giving back. Mars, Inc. mapped the Cocoa Genome and with a bean-to-bar process, they lead the world’s chocolate producer’s Cocoa Sustainability efforts. DOVE® and THE COCOA EXHANGE™ have also partnered with CARE®, a premier humanitarian organization, to provide women in the Cote d’Ivoire, a cocoa producing country in West Africa, with Village Savings & Loan Associations where they can learn business skills and build their own businesses.