Holidays Come Together with Recipes & Pairing from Gaea and Santa Margherita
Gaea Kalamata D.O.P. Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Santa Margherita Italian wine make the holidays come together. If you will be entertaining this holiday, be sure to pick up Gaea Kalamata D.O.P. Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil to use in your baking. Also Santa Margherita wines are an excellent choice for pairing with your party spread. In fact, the SANTA MARGHERITA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA pairs wonderfully with the Salted Caramel Tart whose recipe is below.
Feta and Olive Oil Cakes
- 5.30 ounces (or a little less than ¾ cup) feta cheese
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/4 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 cup Gaea’s Kalamata D.O.P. Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3.50 ounces (or a little less than ½ cup) ground almonds
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Gaea Pitted Kalamata olives, cut in half
- Brown sugar for garnishing
Preheat oven to 350F. Process the cheese with the sugar and honey in a mixer until smooth. Add olive oil. Combine flour with the ground almonds and baking powder and add to bowl while mixing. Divide batter among 6 greased one-use individual cake molds and top each with half an olive. Sprinkle top of batter with brown sugar and bake for about 25 minutes.
Olive Oil Cake with Chocolate Flakes – see the holidays come together with this recipe
- ½ cup Gaea’s Kalamata D.O.P. Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup. cream
- ½ cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp rum
- 1 cup Flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 ½ ounce. Valhrona chocolate flakes
In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, cream, sugar, eggs and rum. Sift together the flour and baking powder and add it to the mixture. Mix well. Add the chocolate flakes and mix. Oil a 10-inch round baking pan and sprinkle the bottom and sides with sugar. Bake in a preheated oven at 356ºF for 5 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 302ºF and continue baking for 1 ½ hours. Remove from the oven and allow cooling.
SALTED CARAMEL TART – a recipe to make the holidays come together
PAIRS WITH SANTA MARGHERITA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA
- 10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ cups superfine sugar
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 5 oz dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Coarse sea salt, to garnish
Make the Crust:
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until pale in color, about 10 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder, flour, egg and vanilla and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out into a round 9-inch tart pan and press into the bottom and up sides.
- Refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Pierce the dough with a fork and bake for 15 minutes, or until the dough is baked through. Set aside.
Make the Caramel Filling:
- Place the cream and butter in a small saucepan over low heat and warm until the butter has melted; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water over low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high and boil, without stirring, until dark golden and the mixture reaches 340° F on a thermometer.
- Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the cream mixture (be cautious, as it will bubble up).
- Return the saucepan to low heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the sea salt and pour into the pastry shell. Refrigerate until set, at least 30 minutes.
Make the Chocolate Glaze:
- Place the chopped chocolate in a medium bowl.
- Heat the cream in a small saucepan over medium heat until simmering.
- Remove from the heat and pour over the chocolate. Let sit for 2 minutes, then stir until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel layer. Refrigerate until set, at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with additional coarse sea salt before serving.