Arriba El Sur The Culinary Institute of America San Antonio Latin Summit offers Celebration in Food & Wine
Several of the exciting events taking place during Arriba El Sur, The Culinary Institute of America’s signature Latin Summit, are open to the public. The conference will feature four Saturday classes designed specifically for Arriba El Sur as part of the celebration of the cuisine and wines from the southern part of Latin America, cooking demonstrations at the Outdoor Kitchen during the Pearl Farmers Market, and a dinner at Nao Latin Gastro Bar on Friday evening with guest chefs and sommeliers from Argentina and Chile.
“This year’s Latin Summit will be amazing,” said Sergio Remolina, Director of Latin Studies at the CIA. “We have four guest chefs and two sommeliers who will dive into the rich cuisine and world class wines of Argentina and Chile.”
On Friday, October 28 at 6 p.m., the CIA will host a six-course celebration dinner. Renowned chefs Danny Bramson, Diego Biondi, Isadora Diaz, and Camila Moreno will join wine experts Alejandro Iglesias and Fred Dexheimer to prepare a remarkable six-course menu with wine pairings that will highlight the cuisines and wines of Argentina and Chile. Seats for the dinner, priced at $125 per person, all-inclusive, are available at www.naorestaurant.com/events.
In addition to the conference’s professional and student programming, the CIA is offering hands-on opportunities for the public with unique Arriba El Sur-related Food Enthusiast classes on Saturday, October 29:
- Hands-on Cooking and Baking Classes (3 Hours, $95 Each)
- 9 a.m. – Empanadas – Iconic Pastries of South America and the World: From small bites to large meat-filled pastries to sweet empanadas, participants will prepare a variety of these iconic pastries under the guidance of baking and pastry Chef Melissa Fritz.
- 9 a.m. – South American Favorites: In this hands-on cooking and tasting class, participants will learn about such popular dishes as chupe de camaron, pebre, matambre, chorizo Argentino, alfajores, torta de rogel, and dulce de leche from Chef Brannon Soileau.
- Tasting Classes (1 Hour, $25 Each)
- 9:30 a.m. – The Art of Asado: At this demo and tasting class, participants will not only explore the dishes that accompany an Asado—the South American tradition of barbecue over an open fire—but will also learn the flavor profiles that define this “gaucho” culinary tradition. Chef Justin Ward will prepare authentic Argentinian dishes such as chimichurri sauce, salsa criolla, matambre, and dulce de leech.
- 11 a.m. – The Wines of South America: This class will explore the wines of Argentina and Chile with discussions regarding how each country’s history, climate, and geography impact their wines. The discussion will include tastings of hand-selected wines from these two countries.
In addition to the dinner and these exciting classes, the CIA will host free live-fire cooking demos from 10 to 11 a.m. on Saturday, October 29 in its Outdoor Kitchen. Chef Hinnerk von Bargen will showcase various bites from Argentina and Chile.
For more information about Arriba El Sur and to purchase tickets for hands-on cooking classes, chef demos and tastings please visit the Food enthusiast website.