Healthy Recipes from Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa will Keep You Chilling all Month
These healthy recipes will have you feeling cool as a cucumber during the hottest month of the year. It can be difficult to remain calm, cool and collected in the midst of summer’s longest, hottest, stickiest nights. One key to beating the heat is to stick with refreshing, chilled eats. However, some of the best chilled treats like ice cream, Italian ice, etc. can be packed full of added sugars and lots of salt.
For a better way to stay cool – and healthy – this summer, here are some recipes created by Chef Anthony Stewart from Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa. Executive Chef Anthony Stewart came up with a chilled tomato, watermelon and basil soup, a citrus fennel mango salad, and creamy banana ricotta ice cream!
Healthy Recipes # 1
Chilled Tomato, Watermelon, and Basil Soup created by Executive Chef, Anthony Stewart at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa
- 1 cup canned low-sodium plum tomatoes
- ¼ cup low-sodium tomato puree
- 1 cup chopped watermelon (seedless)
- ½ teaspoon chopped garlic
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon orange zest *
- 1 tablespoon basil, chiffonade (cut into thin strips)
- Garnish: Four sprigs of fresh basil
- Using a grater or microplane, shave off the peel of an orange to make ½ teaspoon of shavings
- The shavings are your zest, which add strong, wonderfully citrus flavor to foods
- Use only the colored part of the peel, not the bitter white pith beneath
- Combine all ingredients in a blender. Blend well.
- Chill. Before serving, garnish each bowl with a sprig of fresh basil.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
35 calories, 0g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 1g protein, 2g fiber, 15mg sodium.
Healthy Recipes # 2
Citrus Fennel Mango Salad by Executive Chef, Anthony Stewart, at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa
- 2 Bulbs fennel julienne
- 1 Grapefruit (supreme)
- 2 Oranges (Supreme)
- 3 Mangoes (peeled & julienne)
- ¼ Bu Cilantro chopped
- 1 t chopped garlic
- 1 Red onion julienne
- 1 Red pepper julienne
- 1 Green pepper julienne
- 1 carrot julienne
- 1 # Lettuce (chopped)
- 1 T Low sodium stone ground mustard
- ¼ C Rice wine vinegar
- 2 T Apple juice concentrate
- Combine all Vegetables in a bowl
- In a separate bowl combine all ingredients for dressing and mix well
- Add dressing to vegetables and let stand for 15 minutes
- Serve on a bed of chopped lettuce
Healthy Recipes # 3
Banana Ricotta Ice Cream created by Executive Chef, Anthony Stewart at Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa
- 1 pound very ripe bananas (peeled, vacuum sealed, and frozen)
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove bananas from freezer and let sit for 5 minutes (until they begin to defrost around the edges).
- Place ricotta cheese in a food processor and pulse.
- Chop the bananas and add to the food processor along with all remaining ingredients.
- Puree until smooth and creamy.
- Scoop mixture into a plastic bowl and cover with food-grade plastic wrap, making sure the plastic wrap touches the top of the mixture. Place in the freezer for 15 to 20 minutes.