Make Your Summer Party Spread a Little more Interesting with a Kick from Spice
Nothing says summer like an all-American BBQ, but are you ready to spice up your old favorites? Tajín’s delicious age-old Mexican combination of mild chili peppers, lime and salt, can do just that! For your next summer party spread add Tajín to your traditional grilled peppers and watermelon, or try out some new recipes. How does a pulled-pork sandwich with orange and grape fruit salad sound? Or as a vegetarian option, grilled pineapple and sweet potato? Both dishes pair perfectly with Tajin’s Cucumber Watermelon Cooler, a wonderful refreshment for the hot summer months.
Add Tajin Pulled Pork Sandwiches with Orange and Grape fruit Salad to your Summer Party Spread
· 3 pounds / 1.4 kg pork country-style ribs, boneless
· 1 teaspoon / 8 ml ground black pepper
· 2 cups / .5 liter chicken broth
· 3 tablespoons / 45 ml brown sugar
· 3 medium jalapeno chili peppers, halved lengthwise
· 2 teaspoons / 10 ml yellow mustard
· 8 ounces / 227 g tomatoes, canned, drained
· 1 tablespoon / 15 ml kosher salt
· 3 tablespoons / 45 ml canola oil
· 1/2 cup / 120 ml apple cider vinegar
· 1 teaspoon / 5 ml ground cumin
· 5 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
· 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
· 1 teaspoon / 5 ml dried oregano
· 2 cups / .5 liter reserved cooking broth
· 2 tablespoons / 30 ml cornstarch
· Additional water, if needed to cover pork
· 4 tablespoons / 60 ml water
· 3 large navel oranges
· 1 medium grapefruit
· 1 tablespoon / 15 ml honey
· 1 tablespoon / 15 ml fresh lime juice
· 1 tablespoon / 15 ml TAJIN® Clasico (or TAJÍN® Clasico low sodium)
1. Combine salt and pepper then sprinkle onto ribs.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Cook ribs until browned on each side.
3. Transfer to a slow cooker or roasting pan with a lid.
4. Deglaze skillet with broth.
5. Add broth, vinegar, jalapenos, onion, tomatoes, sugar and spices to the pork. Add water if needed to cover pork.
6. Cover and cook until pork is very tender. (On high for about 2 hours in the slow cooker or in the roasting pan, covered at 350F / 175 C for about two hours.)
7. Strain pork mixture, reserving the cooking broth.
8. Shred pork into small pieces using two forks. Keep the onions, tomatoes and jalapenos mixed with the shredded pork.
1. Combine cornstarch and water to make a slurry.
2. Pour 2 cups of reserved cooking broth into a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Whisk in cornstarch slurry. Return to a boil and stir until thickened. Use as much of the thickened broth to moisten the pulled pork as desired.
3. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
1. Peel, seed and coarsely chop the oranges and grapefruit.
2. Whisk together honey, vinegar, 2 tablespoons / 30 ml of the citrus juices, and TAJÍN®.
3. Add fruit pieces.
1. Place a 1/2 cup / 120 ml of the pork on a hamburger bun and top with salsa.
2. Optional: Replace the hamburger bun with a flour tortilla or your favorite sandwich roll (ciabatta, Kaiser, Submarine or Hoagie).
TAJÍN® Grilled Pineapple and Sweet Potato
· 2 large sweet potatoes
· 1 medium fresh pineapple
· Cooking spray
· 3 tablespoons / 45 ml extra virgin olive oil
· 2 each lime, juiced
· 2 tablespoons / 30 ml TAJÍN® Clasico (or TAJÍN® Clasico low sodium)
1. Peel sweet potatoes, cut into wedges and partially cook in boiling, salted water until just fork tender. Cool to room temperature.
2. Peel pineapple. Cut into wedges and trim core from each wedge.
3. Spray potato and pineapple wedges generously with cooking spray on both sides.
4. Place pineapple on grill. Cook until nicely charred and lightly colored (about 6-8 minutes per side).
5. When you turn the pineapple, place sweet potato wedges on the grill. Cook until golden brown on both sides (about 1 1/2 minutes per side). By delaying the potato, both the pineapple and the potato should be done about the same time.
Cucumber Watermelon Cooler for your Summer Party Spread
· 1 Large cucumber, peeled and seeded
· 2 C Watermelon cubes (seedless watermelon suggested)
· 1 C Pineapple, peeled, cored and diced
· 1/2 C orange Sherbet
· 1 T Tajin Clásico
· As needed Tajín Clásico for frost the glass
1. Chill two glasses in the freezer
2. Peel cucumber and cut in half lengthwise
3. Cut half of cucumber into chunks and combine with watermelon, pineapple, sherbet and Tajín Clásico in a blender; blend at high speed until smooth
4. Slice remaining cucumber into spears and dust 1/3 of the length with Tajin Clásico
5. Frost the glass whit some water and tajin
6. Pour cooler into glasses and garnish with cucumber spear.
So for your next summer party spread, don’t forget to add Tajin Clásico to your recipes to kick them up a notch!