The SPAMERICAN™ Tour Visited Lackland AFB with Veteran Sunny Anderson Taking its Gratitude to Troops on the Road
Lackland AFB Welcomes the SPAMERICAN™ Tour
Hormel Foods is well known for its heroics during World War II, by providing 100 million pounds of SPAM® Classic to keep our troops nourished. The brand visited Lackland AFB on May 25- and will visit others around the country- to honor and thank chefs, fanatic fans and military for 79 years of support. We would like to extend our thanks and gratitude to Lackland Air Force Base and Commissary for hosting this event in San Antonio.
At the stop, Air Force Veteran Sunny Anderson was present to share her story with military families, conduct a cooking demo of her Operation SPAM Gravy with Biscuits, while signing autographs and posing for pictures with more than 200 visitors.
During this coast-to-coast culinary journey, on-base attendees were provided the unique opportunity to meet Food Network Host and Air Force Veteran, Sunny Anderson, who completed her basic training at Lackland Air Force Base.
Attendees got to:
- Experience an intimate cooking demonstration by Sunny Anderson of her Operation SPAM® Gravy with Biscuits
- One-on-one interviews with Sunny Anderson to hear about her time spent at Lackland for basic and experience on the Emmy-nominated Food Network Show, The Kitchen.
- Sample unique and flavorful SPAM® recipes, including BBQ Jalapeno SPAM® tacos with Pineapple Salsa, SPAM® Musubi and SPAM® Fries.
- Take part in the interactive letter writing station to show your support for service members through Operation Gratitude.
As a way to allow everyone an easy way to say thank you, the Tour is delighted to partner with Operation Gratitude, a volunteer based organization that sends care packages and letters to U.S. Service Members deployed overseas, veterans, wounded soldiers and their families- as well as new recruits and First-Responders here at home.
- The SPAM® brand is taking bringing the letter writing campaign into 16 communities and is committed to supporting Operation Gratitude with a $50,000 donation to help reach their “March to a 2nd Million” goal in 2016 – donating $1 for every letter written in-market and online at SPAM.com.
“We’re honored to partner with Operation Gratitude for the return of the SPAMERICAN™ Tour,” said Jennifer L. Nolander, SPAM® Brand Manager. “The SPAM® brand has a long tradition of supporting our nation’s military at home and abroad beginning with World War II, and we are honored to bring aboard a veteran like Sunny Anderson to help Operation Gratitude achieve its mission by providing an easy way for communities to give back to those who proudly serve us every day.”
“Each year, Operation Gratitude sends over 200,000 Care Packages to our nation’s heroes, and out of all of the items included in these packages, among the most cherished are the hand-written notes and letters,” said Emily Rich, Director of National Development. “By working with the SPAM® brand, we have the chance to bring our letter-writing campaign to communities across the country.”
Along the tour, communities will be treated to complimentary, on-trend recipe samples created by local chefs, including the “Father of Southern Cuisine” Dean Fearing, James Beard pastry chef Gale Gand and noted TV chef Chris Kyler. Anderson’s dish will be served across the country alongside other unique dishes, including Cinnamon Crusted SPAM® Waffles with Apricot Jam Drizzle, Barbeque SPAM® Jalapeno Tacos with Pineapple Salsa and SPAM® Bánh mì.
“As a host and passionate foodie who likes to experiment with taste and flavor, I’ve long been a fan of the creative possibilities that come from working with SPAM® products. My recipe, Operation SPAM® Gravy with Biscuits, was inspired by my southern heritage and military brat roots, and I think it really captures the spirit of this year’s SPAMERICAN™ Tour,” said Sunny Anderson. “As an Air Force veteran, it means a lot to team up with Operation Gratitude’s mission, offering thousands of people the opportunity to send notes of support and appreciation to the brave men and women who serve our country.”
SPAMERICAN™ Tour Schedule:
- New York, N.Y. April 23 – Tribeca Film Festival
- San Diego, Calif. April 29- May 3 – Stagecoach Music Festival
- San Francisco, Calif. May 9 – Travis Air Force Base and Lucky® – Daly City, California
- Denver, Colo. May 14 – Big Wonderful
- Dallas, Texas May 19-22 – Wildflower Arts and Music Festival
- San Antonio, Texas – Lackland Air Force Base
- Baton Rouge, La. May 27-29 – Bayou Superfest
- Nashville, Tenn. June 6-12 – Fort Campbell and CMA Festival
- Raleigh, N.C. June 16-18 – Peak City Pig Fest
- Norfolk, Va. June 24-26 – Norfolk Navy and Bayoo Boogaloo Cajun Festival
- Columbus, Ohio July 1-3 – Red, White and Boom
- Indianapolis, Ind. July 6-10 – Three Rivers Festival
- Chicago, Ill. July 15-17 – Windy City Smokeout
- Twin Lakes, Wis. July 21-24 – Country Thunder
- Austin, Minn. July 28-29 – Hormel Foods 125th Anniversary
- Minneapolis, Minn. August 1-8 – Uptown Art Fair
Chef Partnerships and Recipes:
- National – Sunny Anderson, Food Network Host and US Air Force Veteran
- Operation SPAM® Gravy with Biscuits
- San Diego – Alex Carballo, Moto Deli
- BBQ Jalapeno SPAM® tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Denver – Tyler Wiard, Elway’s Cherry Creek
- Crispy SPAM® Al Pastor Tacos with Grilled Pineapple Salsa and Pickled Onion Slaw
- Dallas – Dean Fearing, The Mansion At Turtle Creek, Fearing’s
- SPAM® Corn Dogs
- Nashville – Nathan Flynt, Two Sons Kitchen and Market
- SPAM® Bánh mì
- Norfolk – Chris Kyler, Kyler’s A+ Catering
- Cajun Boudin Balls “SPAM® Style”
- Chicago – Gale Gand, Spritzbuger
- Cinnamon Crusted Waffles with SPAM® and Apricot Jam Drizzle
- Minneapolis – Russell Klein, Meritage
- SPAM® Madame – Hot SPAM® & Cheese with a Fried Egg and Mornay Sauce
For more information about the SPAMERICAN™ Tour schedule and stops, please check out www.SPAM.com/tour, and join in the #SPAMCan conversation at www.facebook.com/spambrand, www.youtube.com/spambrand, www.twitter.com/SPAMbrand or @SPAMBrand on Instragram. For more information about Sunny Anderson’s signature SPAMERICAN™ dish, check out the full recipe at www.SPAM.com/tour.