Award-winning Luxury Taos Property Added to New Mexico’s Only Boutique Hotel Group
Northern New Mexico’s acclaimed resort is now part of our collection of culturally designed New Mexico properties. The Taos resort features 84 luxury guest rooms, The Living Spa, Anaconda Bar and De la Tierra Restaurant.
Heritage Hotels and Resorts, Inc. (http://www.hhandr.com) announces the purchase of the award-winning El Monte Sagrado in Taos, NM. The 84-room luxury property will join Palacio de Marquesa, Heritage Hotels & Resorts’ inn, to create a very strong luxury lodging presence in Taos.
“El Monte Sagrado is the premier property in Taos and Northern New Mexico. We are excited to add this to our collection of culturally designed New Mexico hotels, ” explains Jim Long, CEO, Heritage Hotels & Resorts, Inc. “All of our Heritage Hotels & Resorts properties offer guests an authentic New Mexico cultural experience and tell a unique story about our rich heritage and history. El Monte Sagrado will remain the premier Taos resort property and enhance our presence in Northern New Mexico.”
Heritage Hotels & Resorts, Inc. plans to keep the design, history and character of El Monte Sagrado. The hotel employs 124 people in Taos. Albuquerque-based Heritage Hotels & Resorts, Inc. is the hotel management company as of mid-October 2015.
Formerly owned and managed by the Florida-based Kessler Collection, El Monte Sagrado opened in 2003, and underwent significant additional updates, additions and construction to reopen in 2007. It was constructed for a cost of more than $70 million.
“The Kessler Collection has made a strategic decision to focus its attention on the many present opportunities for growth in the Southern U.S.,” said Richard C. Kessler, Chairman and CEO of The Kessler Collection. “Taos has a very unique culture that demands management time. Because of this, we focused on finding a strong Western investor and operator who knows and lives in the Southwest culture. We found a company, Heritage Hotels & Resorts, that is heavily involved in ownership and management in New Mexico and whose culture is committed to the Southwest culture and heritage. It is with pleasure that our efforts in building the stage will be used in developing an exciting operating program indigenous to this culture. We thank all of our El Monte Grand Performers for their contributions to delivering delightful guest experiences. We wish Heritage Hotels & Resorts a profitable enterprise.”
ABOUT EL MONTE SAGRADO
- El Monte Sagrado offers 84 guestrooms, including 48 Taos Mountain Rooms, 18 Native American Suites, six Casitas, eight Global Suites and four Premiere Suites, many of which featuring kiva fireplaces and/or private courtyards. With globally themed suites ranging from Argentina, China and Marrakech to Spain, Egypt and Tibet, El Monte Sagrado provides a captivating haven of passionate design for guests.
- The resort offers 7,000 square feet of function space, including the 2,400 sq. ft. Rio Grande Ballroom, the 1,400 sq. ft. Sandoval Room, the 784 sq. ft. Grand Bohemian Gallery, a 350 sq. ft. mahogany-paneled Executive Boardroom, a 766 sq. ft. Library with southwestern charm, and a 255 sq. ft. private Mediterranean-inspired Wine Room.
- In addition to the spaces above El Monte Sagrado offers unmatched Taos wedding spaces perfect for outdoor wedding ceremonies and receptions with the backdrop of the Taos Mountain. The Sacred Circle is surrounded by waterfalls, ponds and towering cottonwoods and the Taos Mountain Lawn features a perfectly manicured lawn for ceremonies and/or receptions up to 400 people.
- The resort, located just three blocks from Historic Taos Plaza, is situated in an 11-acre landscape that features beautiful grounds with waterfalls, large trees and meditation areas.
- The Aqua Center features a saltwater plunge pool, wading pool and hot tub contained in a Biolarium featuring wooden walkways leading through a rain-forest like grove complete with a waterfall and exotic plants from Malaysia, Indonesia and Brazil.
- The resort was designed to be eco-friendly and very green with a rainwater and water reclamation system and has its own water purification and geothermal heating and cooling systems.
- The resort is design-centered featuring over 300 pieces of original artwork on display in the public areas and rooms.
DINING & NIGHTLIFE
- The award-winning De la Tierra Restaurant treats guests to a creative menu of global and local influences within an awe-inspiring architectural setting. With fresh menu items and ingredients, De la Tierra provides guests with a comprehensive wellness experience and locally inspired dishes.
- The Anaconda Bar features a giant anaconda sculpture across the ceiling and exotic fish swim in a lavish aquarium. The bar provides lively and edgy atmosphere where guests socialize over signature drinks and creative cuisine. Live local entertainment and chic décor sets the mood as hotel guests, locals and occasional high profile celebrities mingle.
THE LIVING SPA™
The Living Spa™ invites guests to an eco-friendly healing retreat featuring 10 exquisitely designed treatment rooms, many with added benefits of a sunlit shower and natural waterfall cooling system. The spa also boasts two romantic, candlelit couple’s suites with extraordinary treatments that are sure to heal mind, body and spirit.
The spa is passionately committed to a healthy environment as it only utilizes natural and organic products, such as Naturopathica and “Sagrado” by Body Bliss, The Living Spa’s own private label. For post-treatment meditation, The Sacred Circle, an on property relaxation area revered for hundreds of years by the local Taos tribes, invites guests to unwind among towering Willow and Cottonwood trees and breathe in the tranquility of the New Mexican landscape. After soaking up the warm sun, guests can enjoy the resort’s two hydrotherapy tubs or saltwater pool to further revitalize the body and soul.
AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
El Monte Sagrado has a reputation of being one of the top resorts in the US:
- Conde Nast Traveler: Gold List, Readers Choice Award, Top 100 US Resort Spas
- AAA 4-Diamond Award
- Forbes Traveler: America’s 50 Best Hotels, America’s 10 Greenest hotels
- Spa Finder: Best Eco Spa, Best for Mind Body Spirit
- National Geographic: World’s 25 Best Ski Towns: Best Digs
- Taos News: Best Lodging, Best Places to Get Married
- TripAdvisor: Certificate of Excellence, GreenLeader
El Monte Sagrado is a part of a nine-property collection of culturally distinct hotels in New Mexico managed by Heritage Hotels and Resorts, Inc. Most recently, Heritage Hotels and Resorts announced the company is building a new luxury hotel in old town Albuquerque to be completed in 2017 called Hotel Chaco. For details see hhandr.com